Local and other Welsh groups & organisations
- Gower Ornithological Society/Gower Ringing Group website
- Glamorgan Swift Champions – blog relating to the ongoing Swift project.
- Glamorgan Willow Tit project – set up after GBC was awarded a grant from WOS to do some survey work on this now very scarce species.
- Glamorgan Records Committee – NB the previous GRC blog is rather out of date at the moment. The link here now takes you to the relevant page on this website.
- Gower Wildlife – includes some latest bird sightings – you will need to register to post, but it’s free to view.
- BTO Regional News for East Glamorgan – lots of information both local and more general.
- Cosmeston Lakes & Lavernock – sightings and information blog by GBC member John Wilson
- Kenfig National Nature Reserve – a Facebook page which is now rather static
- Friends of Tirfounder Fields – a web site set up by James Burton of Cwmbach, to publicise the diversity of wildlife at this site.
- Gwent Ornithological Society – the club in our neighbouring county.
- Gwent Birding – a Gwent Birder’s blog.
- The Wildlife Trust of South & West Wales – a concise guide to its activities and reserves.
- Gwent Wildlife Trust – includes lists of events, reserves and species.
- Gigrin Farm – the now famous Red Kite feeding station at Rhayader, mid-Wales.
- Severnside Birds – information and news from the mid-Severn estuary, Aust Warth etc.
- Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust – includes a guide to its reserves.
- Skokholm Island Blog – up to date news from Skokholm Island.
- Skomer Island Blog – the sister island to the above.
- West Glamorgan RSPB Members Group – information about their activities and local sites plus links to other RSPB groups.
- Pembrokeshire Bird Group
- Carmarthenshire Bird Club
- Radnor Bird Blog
- Glamorgan Wildlife Photographic Club – a local club for photographers of anything to do with natural history.
- Glamorgan Moth Recording Group – the informative blog of this very active group.
- Cardiff Blackbird Project – a project set up to examine the ecology, behaviour and demography of urban birds using the blackbird as a model. This is the project’s blog.
Bird & wildlife rescue & hospitals
- Gower Bird Hospital – an organisation whose purpose is to care for sick, injured and orphaned birds and animals with the sole intention of returning them to the wild.
- British Wildlife help – general website for those seeking help for injured or sick wildlife
Local environmental organisations
- SEWBReC – the South East Wales Biodiversity Records Centre.
- Wales Biodiversity Partnership
- Environment Agency
- Cosmeston Lakes Country Park – the official Vale of Glamorgan site.
- Bridgend Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan – links to hte latest pdf document – 72 pages
- Caerphilly Unitary Authority the link takes you to what appears to be the latest document
- Cardiff Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan – this appears to be the relevant website
- Merthyr Tydfil Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Neath Port Talbot Unitary Authority there’s no obvious action plan on this new site
- Swansea Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Vale of Glamorgan Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan – scroll down to see a link to the downloadable plan.
- British Trust for Ornithology (BTO)
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB)
- British Birds Rarities Committee (BBRC)
- British Ornithologists Union (BOU)
- Rare Breeding Birds Panel
- Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT)
- Welsh Ornithological Society/Cymdeithas Adaryddol Cymru
- Natural Resources Wales – the new body which has taken over the roles of Countryside Council for Wales, the Forestry Commission and Environment Agency Wales.
- Portland Bird Obs, Portland Bill, Dorset – the link is to their new blog
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee
Bird information & news
- BirdGuides – news and webzine site and a lot more, but best known for its online news.
- British Birds – the well-known bird journal.
- CVL Birding – the web site of Chew Valley and its neighbouring reservoirs, with bird news.
- Bird Forum – forum site on everything and anything to do with birds.
- Birds of Britain – a web-based magazine.
- Cornwall Birding – official website of the Cornwall Birdwatching and Preservation Soc.
- Fat Birder – an excellent site with information about birding worldwide.
- MapMate – bird and other wildlife recording software, although for bird recording has been superceded by Bird Track – see below
- BirdTrack – the BTO’s online bird recording facility, now used by very many people. Data recorded here can be downloaded by the local Recorder for use in for example the annual Bird Report.
- Oriole Birding – run by Norfolk-based Ashley Saunders and Nick Parsons. Their brochure has a very wide range of birding tours both UK based and around the world. See the Members Trip Reports page for some trips that GBC has taken with them.
- Canopy Tower and Canopy Lodge – in Panama. They gave GBC members a presentation a few years ago and some members have been. Highly recommended. Oriole Birding do a trip there.